Appeal an academic policy

If you wish to appeal for an exception to VCU academic regulations, this appeal must be made to the Academic Regulations Appeals Committee. ARAC is a standing committee of the Office of Academic Affairs and reports to the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs. ARAC considers appeals for exceptions to undergraduate academic regulations listed in the VCU Bulletin.

University Academic Advising students include first-year students, all undeclared students, all Business Foundation students who are assigned to UAA advisors, all pre-health baccalaureate students and non-degree seeking students. All other students should contact the appropriate ARAC representative within their program.

To file an academic appeal, please follow these steps:

  1. Read through these instructions for filing an ARAC Petition.
  2. Meet with your assigned academic advisor. Who is my advisor?
  3. Write a letter - see instructions here.
  4. Gather supporting documentation.
  5. Complete the online ARAC Petition Form.
  6. If necessary for your appeal (retroactive drop or retroactive withdrawal), email this Faculty Memorandum Form to your instructors.

For more information or to contact the UAA ARAC representative, please email